"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." -- Albert Einstein

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Status of LinuxTorrents.org

I have taken the site down completely as the TorrentTrader software that was running the site apparently had some serious flaws. I'm not sure what all this person got into on the server that was hosting LinuxTorrents.org, but it was enough to mess it up badly. I don't think I'm inclined to reload the software, or find new software at this time, I may come up with a different solution instead, or just forward it to LinuxTracker, I haven't decided.

I know WHERE the hack originated, because I KNOW I didn't have clamav on my server.

clamav     pts/1    125.164.202.240    Thu Jul 10    06:46 - 06:58     (00:12)

that was from the output of "last". In the end, I blame myself. I should have installed better software for the torrents. One solution I've debated on, while lowtech, is to just use apache and upload torrents into directories. To this day, it still amazes me that people go out of their way to destroy what someone else creates.

2 comments:

Brian Masinick said...

That's awful, Dave! Well, for the time being maybe LinuxTracker will have to do this stuff. It sure is nice that you provide so many useful services, from our USALUG to the Bash scripts site and all of the other projects, including this one, but why someone just HAS to try to wreck no matter what someone else does is beyond me. Such people belong behind bars or "terminated" all together.

Thanks for putting so much time and effort into what you do. I know that many of us at USALUG really appreciate it and we appreciate you as well.

Brian

Crouse said...

LinuxTorrents.org is back up..... definately looks different at the moment lol. Gave me a reason to play with lighttpd again. Definately responds fast :)